Apr 27, 2010

Lens and orchards

We went to the orchard after school today. The apple blossoms won't be in full bloom until next week. So we'll see. . . .

I had a lot of questions about the lens that I posted. So I'm going to give my advice again (take it for what it's worth . . believe me I still have lots to learn).

(1) If your short on cash - upgrade your lens before your camera. Lenses are so important.

(2) If your deciding between the 50 mm 1.8 or the 50 mm 1.4 go with the 1.4. I know it's like $300 more. But, I bought both. I thought I could live with the 1.8 ($150) and I couldn't. I love how much sharper my images are with the 1.4. It's not that the f-stop makes that much of a difference - it's just the quality of the lens. I promise you your images will be sharper.

(3) If you are going to buy a full frame camera or if you have a full frame camera skip the 50 mm all together and just buy the 85 mm. With a full frame camera you can shoot families with a 85 mm. You can also shoot portraits. You cannot shoot portraits very well with the 50 mm and a full frame camera. It will be like shooting with a wide angle lens. Great for groups and landscapes - bad for close ups.

(4) Because I already had the 50 mm 1.4 I just bought the 105 mm so I can do better portraits. Because I use a full frame camera I can still get more than one person in the picture. I just took pictures of my kids in an orchard and posted them on my photo blog. You can see that I got a few pictures with all three of them in there together. I did have to back up quite a ways - but not too bad.

Here's one I took today with the 105 mm lens. You can see more of the images that I took with the 105 mm lens on my photo blog. I just posted it today.

Photobucket

5 comments:

ShamelessPhotography said...

Laura,
I totally agree. My sister and I were talking about lenses and cameras just the other day and totally agree its much wiser to invest in glass. Besides if you spend all that money on a camera and have inferior lenses the camera is just going to exaggerate the shortcomings they have. And without a bright lens, whats the point of having a camera with the capabilities of shooting at high ISO's.?

I do have to agree that a prime is great for crisp images, but I also think that the 70-200 is the best lens for weddings or candids. It allows you to "sneak up" without being noticed. I like having both... gives me a lot of flexibility.

I hope all our camera jargon doesn't scare everyone away!! LOL

Cori Henderson said...

I agree the 70-200 is a great lens, creates great bokeh. I just hate how heavy it is:) I'm a wimp. I can't wait to get a new camera so I can try out your new lens - he he:) Its a good thing we tried to get those pics yesterday cause it looks like a complete blizzard at my house today.

The Ridgeways said...

I have made fun of Brent for years because there is always something more for his camera he wants, I think the light is finally going on, lol. It's a be frightening how much you can spend. I LOVE those dresses! Where did you get them?

Laura said...

Melanie, The dresses came from Naartjie. They are about $24 - I had to go to Fashion place and to 106th to get the sizes I want. You may want to order them on line. They also come in Lavendar (bought one of those too) Love the dress.

tagskie said...

Nice blog you got here... Just droppin' by to say hi! http://www.arts-and-entertainment.info